- Professor, Department of Criminal Justice
- Director, Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism
- Curriculum Vitae (Adobe PDF)
- 1992 J.D., Stanford Law School (Recipient, Block Civil Liberties Award)
- 1989 B.A., American History, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Criminologist attorney Brian Levin analyzes terrorism, hate crime and legal issues. Mr. Levin was previously an associate professor at New Jersey’s Stockton College and an adjunct lecturer in advanced constitutional law at Seton Hall Law School.
He is the author, co-author and editor of various books, scholarly articles, training manuals and studies on extremism and hate crime. He has written various U.S. Supreme Court friend of the court briefs including those in the landmark case of Wisconsin v. Mitchell, where he presented criminological data establishing the severity and characteristics of hate crime. His analysis has won various awards and his work has been referenced in numerous prominent social science journals and major law reviews.
Before entering academia in 1996, Professor Levin served as Associate Director-Legal Affairs of the Southern Poverty Law Center's Klanwatch/Militia Task Force in Montgomery, Alabama, and as a corporate litigator for the law firm of Irell & Manella. He was also a New York City Police Officer in Harlem and Washington Heights during the 1980s and received citations for academics and excellent police duty.
Mr. Levin has appeared in international news media on six continents and has lectured around the world. He is a court certified expert on extremism in both the United States and the United Kingdom and has testified before both houses of Congress. He has also consulted for numerous state and federal agencies including the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Department of Homeland Security, as well as for universities and civil rights groups. Professor Levin has appeared at TEDx and on every American broadcast and cable news network including shows like 60 Minutes, Dateline NBC, The Today Show, Good Morning America, the O’Reilly Factor, AC 360 and Hardball. In addition to appearing in every major American newspaper, newsmagazine and wire service, Professor Levin writes front page analysis for the Huffington Post.
- Counter-Terrorism (Domestic and International)
- Hate Crime
- Constitutional and Criminal Law
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 909-537-7711
- Office Location: Social Behavioral Sciences (SB) 209C
- CJUS 102 Criminal Law
- CJUS 465 Hate Crime Law and Policy
- CJUS 504 Criminal Procedure
- CJUS 554 Terrorism in the 21st Century
- CJUS 630 Legal Issues in the Criminal Justice System
- American Society of Criminology/ Bias Crime and Terrorism Section
- State Bar of California
- Supreme Court of the United States Bar
- Central District of California Bar (Federal)
- California Association of Human Relations Organizations